Please leave a comment with your ideas about how we can accept others who may be different.
1. Wear something to school that you think is ugly to see if other kids think it is ugly too. (Different viewpoints may enhance empathy.)
2. Volunteer at a local children’s hospital or rehabilitation center for interaction with kids that are “different.”
3. Implement classroom role playing activities among groups, having some kids experiment “alternative” ways of seeing, hearing and moving. (This might help develop positive changes in attitudes and perceptions of handicapped children by non-handicapped children.)
1. Have you ever had to wear something to school that made you feel embarrassed? If so, what was it? How did your peers react? Did everyone think it was ugly?
2. What would you do if you were Willie and your shoes would not come off?
3. If you were in school with Willie, and everyone was making fun of him, would you stick up for him or join the others?
4. Some people are tall, some short, some have light skin, some have dark skin, some have bigger noses or ears than others and some have different color eyes. Does this make us all different or are we all still the same?
7 thoughts on “Share your thoughts about accepting differences”